Scargill House is located in Wharfedale, in the county of Yorkshire, England, three-quarters of a mile from the village of Kettlewell and four miles from Grassington. The nearest market town, Skipton, is 14 miles distant.
Scargill was purchased by Clement Holdsworth from John Overend Wood, the sale being completed on 20 December 1900. Here he shot grouse on Conistone moor and fished for trout on the Wharfe.
At the time of its sale at auction in November 1957, after 57 years in the family's hands, the Scargill Estate was described as an "exceptional residential, agricultural and sporting property". It comprised in all 1,050 acres, with 70 acres Park and Afforestation Land, two stock farms each of 500 acres, various properties in Kettlewell, over one mile of trout fishing in the Wharfe and 3,000 acres of shooting rights over Conistone Moor.
From the Jackson-Stops & Staff 1957 catalogue...
THE SCARGILL ESTATE is situated in one of the most accessible and picturesque spots in Upper Wharfedale. It is close to the villages of Kettlewell and Coniston. The market Town of Skipton is 14 miles due South, approached by a fast road and served by main line railway from London; the daily 9.00am train from St. Pancras arrives at Skipton at 2.27pm. Scargill is very conveniently located in relation to the Industrial and Business centres of the West Riding being less than an hour's run from Bradford. The Residence and Estate Dwellings are directly approached by a country road and lie in the sheltered valley of the River Wharfe, which nevertheless enjoys an altitude of 650 feet above sea level; the invigorating air and the completely unspoilt grandeur of the surroundings make the Property a most attractive and healthy resort.
The attraction of the Estate must be enhanced by the Sporting attributes which have always been jealously nursed and improved. Benefits are just now being reaped from endeavours to create a good Pheasant Shoot. The Game Records speak for themselves over the value of Grouse Shooting. It is very seldom that an opportunity arises to secure the Sporting over a first class Yorkshire Moor. Last but not least is the recreation available with the broad and swift Trout Water of the Wharfe which forms the boundary of the Estate for 1¼ miles.
Ownership of the Estate carries the right to Pew Sittings in the Parish Church of Kettlewell and share in the Lordship.
The Residence has an impressive approach through a stone pillared and wrought iron entrance, a tree lined Drive bordered by beech hedge and iron rail fence leading to the Carriage Sweep.
The Property has a southerly aspect and nestles protected at the foot of a wooded promontory from which site a view is commanded over the valley. Park-like surroundings reminiscent of the Border Country are provided by a Home Paddock interspersed with Fir Plantations. A general neat appearance is afforded by continuation of the beech hedge and painted iron railings around the small formal grounds which are laid out with Lawns and Ornamental Water Garden.
The Residence, of XVIII Century origin is substantially constructed of stone, rendered and colour washed, under a stone flag roof.
Scargill was sold to the Church of England in 1957 after William Holdsworth had decided to live on the Irish estate at Bellinter House, and in 1960 Scargill House became a Christian Holiday and Conference Centre. It continued its programme of events until 2008, when the decision was taken to sell the property. It was placed on the market through estate agent Knight Frank, described as "a substantial property with Chapel set within the Yorkshire Dales National Park, which benefits from extensive views and a quiet location" with an area of 75 acres.
The Chapel dates from 1960 and was designed by George Pace, a uniquely appropriate design which combines the sense of community, devotion and inner peace with inspiring views across the dale.
A charity called the Scargill Movement was registered on 3rd February 2009 and purchased Scargill House on March 31st, 2009. It is committed to the continuing ministry and mission of 'the Lee Abbey of the North' as Scargill House was originally founded to be. "It will be a resource for the Church, providing a safe place for individuals and groups to meet with God and one another."